Designed in 1929 by the locally well-known architectural firm Knighton & Howell, The RJ Templeton Building was originally known as the Frigidaire building. It was one of the first buildings in Portland that combined warehousing with retail space. At the time it was built it was reported to be the largest and most modern facility of its kind on the West Coast. The building was specifically designed for the Frigidaire Company that occupied the building from 1929-1934. After a series of other tenants, RJ Templeton purchased the building in 1959 for operation of his auto parts business. While the building still bears his name the historic name is the Frigidaire Building.